Tuesday, December 16, 2008

So today I was flipping my cabbage around on my plate cuz I wasnt feeling that hungry, and the visage of some people I know came up in my head, admonishing me to stop playing with my food cuz I had to respect my food.

Then I started thinking, why is it that these same people dont seem to show the same "respect" for water that they do for food? I mean, you dont see them whining about wasting water or playing with water when theyre in the shower. I mean, water could be considered a more valuable resource since you can live longer without food then you can without water.

And because my mom was yapping noisily on the phone at that moment, my train of thought suddenly took a different path. I thought of some pai kias I knew a few years back that had this moral guideline where they didnt allow other people to insult their mothers. They call this the "Dont Play Mother" commandment; some of you may have heard of it.

So whats up with this decree they place upon themselves? You mean after 16 or so years of being a parasite on your household, a societal scourge and treating your mom like dirt, you suddenly decide or realise that shes worth so much more? Or is it just an excuse to find trouble with people? Or, Heaven forbid, you want to play the trapped hero who does bad things but actually is a filial son with a heart of gold as a seductive facade for a girl whos stupid enough to think youre worth saving?

Why do we fabricate these moral rules?

I thought about this for a while more, but I couldnt find a satisfactory answer.

So then, in order to solve my cognitive conundrum, I concluded that what I was thinking about made little connection and sense, so I ate that piece of cabbage.

No comments: