Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Was It Really Ours?

So the olympics are over and singaporeans in general are making a big deal out of our medal tally. The first in 48 years for sg. Well, I can understand the big hoo-ha cuz of that, but somehow it doesnt seem like its entirely singaporean.

The victory I mean. The victory wasnt ours.

For starters, FengTianWei was china born, WangYueGu was china born and guess where LiJiaWei was born? I shouldnt even have to answer that.

Pretty much, it was China who got that medal for us. It was China who GAVE that medal to us. You get what Im saying?

The fact is, and remains that no one who is PURE singaporean can win anything for shit. But thats not our fault. We're a society whos children grow up doing nothing but studying and trying to get laid. Even if the person sitting beside you had the innate ability to become the next Phelps, what are the chances he/she would discover that talent?

Sure, we have sports schools, but the child who has that talent has to first realise it. But being thrown into a life revolving around mental regurgitation, what are the chances of him/her knowing her unfulfilled destiny?

"But other countries also have immigrants who became citizens that won medals for them what!" you cry out indignantly. Well, my answer to that is that at least those immigrants dont make up 100% of their country's medal tally. Sad, but true.

But I guess I shouldnt blame the sports council. They know this. They know exactly what I said, so I guess the measures they took are.... acceptable.

No comments: